Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Inwood, Ninth Avenue at 208th Street


Mary Sargent © 2006 . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . click to enlarge

Ninth Avenue begins downtown at 14th Street, and later becomes Columbus Avenue, which ends at 110th Street. Completely ridiculously, it picks up again at 201st street (that's 91 blocks!) and stumbles along 7 blocks until it comes to an ignominous end right here. Do we call this an avenue?

However, I love these streets on the edges; they're my favorite places to walk. There's such surprising color and design in these very practical, and very unbeautiful places. Can you believe that arrow? By the way, the sign on the building says New York City Transit Authority, Ninth Avenue Unit Shop.

I also did a tight shot of the doorway, which I can't resist showing you, thus violating two rules with one photo.
1. Show only one photo per day. 2. Show one view only per site.


Mary Sargent © 2006 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .click to enlarge

There.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These two bowl me over. The poster-like graphics remind me of someone I've seen at the Whitney. In the midst of all the harsh maculine starkness, the curves and comparative fragility of the American flag are quite touching.

And in the tight shot of the doorway, the "yellow carpet" to the front door adds a poignant touch of "welcome."

Anonymous said...

...and I find both of them very funny. I especially like it that in the closeup one can see the yellow dot in the center of the grounded circle (manhole cover?), when that dot can't be seen in the further-away photo.

Anonymous said...

Jazzy. I think Mondrian would like them.