Sunday, September 24, 2006

Hell's Kitchen, 58th Street at Eleventh Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2006 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . click to enlarge

At the end of this block, there is a big chain link fence, and looking through, I could see these tracks below street level. I was able to point my camera through a gap at the end to get this shot. The shadow at the bottom right is from a link in the fence.

I emailed a question to Time Out New York's What's Up With . . . .Department: What's up with the below ground train tracks visible through a chain link fence at 58th Street and Eleventh Avenue? .I'll let you know if they have an answer.

And speaking of Time Out, this week the cover story was Forgotten New York, an article by Kevin Walsh, with one suggested itinerary in each borough. The Manhattan itinerary was in Inwood, and we are directed to the driveway just north of P.S.5. See my post of September 13. But rather than end up in Swindler Cove, which, after all, is new and not forgotten, Kevin directs us to a wood-chipped walkway, which leads to a clearing and Sherman Creek. Who would guess that this unmarked and unremarkable driveway would lead to these destinations? I'll go back.

No comments: