Thursday, December 07, 2006

Greenwich Village, Third Street Between Sixth Avenue and MacDougal Street


Mary Sargent © 2006 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Last Saturday I went down to the Clay Festival, a juried pottery show at St. Anthony's Church on Houston Street, where my friend, Myra Nissim had a table loaded with her beautiful bowls and jars. It was about 4:20, twilight, and a good time of day to be shooting. I walked across 3rd to Sullilvan Street and down to Houston. Third Street between Sixth and MacDougal was a bonanza of photos.

I had a hard time deciding whether or not to post this photo. I have a similar one I could have used which is better in one way but not as good in another. The problem with the one above is that it looks like a photograph of a restaurant; the restaurant sign is too prominent. Cropping didn't work. But I love the right side of it and hate to give it up. What I love are the different shades of red, magenta and orange next to the green door and the light in the staircase and the staircase itself. What I should do is go down there and take another photograph moving over to the right. But I don't have time tonight! Then what I should do is just not post it. But. . . What do you think? Should I have put the safer one up instead? Here it is to help you decide.



Mary Sargent © 2006 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

See map.

2 comments:

Mostly Harmless said...

Definitely the first.

Anonymous said...

The twilight light in both of them is beautiful. And both give me a stage set sense - rich with detail, yet quiet now before the action begins.