Friday, April 13, 2007

Hudson Heights, 181st Street at Fort Washington Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge


Catfood time rolled around again on Tuesday, which usually means I go for a walk before I end up at the vet, and I decided rather than try to make a big splash, I would just take the subway to 181st Street walk up Fort Washington Avenue to Bennett Park and pick up the two tiny end streets north and south of the park. They're only about a quarter as long as a normal street, but they needed to be walked.

Here on the corner of 181 and Ft. Washington is the Fort Washington Collegiate Church, set in a valley down from the street. You might almost think it was a little village church if not for the looming building behind. If I were the sort of person to do such things, I could photoshop the building out of there, drop in a few trees and have you thinking you were in New England.

For those people who think the name of the church is odd, collegiate, I mean, here's the place to be informed. You're on your own looking up consistory.

Note: although we are beginning to despair of spring ever arriving, the green green grass and the little pansy plants on the church grounds tell us to have hope.

See map.

1 comment:

Gerald (SK14) said...

what an exquisite looking church