Monday, April 30, 2007

Washington Heights, Fort George Hill Between Dyckman Street and Fairview Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Yesterday, Sunday, I went on an adventure photowalk, which I define as going somewhere I've never been, for no other purpose than to walk it. I admit I have a low threshold for adventure.

My plan was to go two subway stops to Dyckman, then walk south on the curvy Hillside Avenue until it ends at Nagle and then walk Nagle back to Dyckman. This is the beginning of said adventure when I THOUGHT I was heading up Hillside.

Imagine my consternation when I got to, not Nagle, but Fairview Avenue and realized I'd walked up Fort George Hill instead. Below is a map with Fort George the right hand curvy street (filled in with red) and Hillside just to the left. As you can see, anyone could have made that mistake. By the way, all you downtown people, don't these streets look exotic? You'd think you were having an adventure, too. Just wait until I tell you about the guava sandwich I had.

But for now, please notice the feathery green trees up ahead. It was kind of cool and cloudy, but definitely spring and the leaves just coming out, pale and delicate.




No comments: