Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Civic Center, Centre Street Between White and Hogan Streets


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

I turned on Canal Street and walked South on Centre Street. We're not in Chinatown anymore. We're in that area called Civic Center, which can most easily be defined as being those streets that contain nothing but big government buildings, mainly courts. This is the Detention Center if I read my map correctly, and the white sign on the building directs law enforcement personnel to follow certain procedures with their firearms.

I was taking shots of this building when I noticed a woman waiting for me to finish. She didn't want her picture taken, she told me, so I lowered my camera and she walked past, then stopped and stared at where I was shooting. What are you taking a picture OF, she asked. She was weaving, a bit intoxicated, and smiling. I explained about the color and the shapes and how you could look at it as if it were a painting. She just smiled and shook her head as if to say, go figure. I must say, people did seem more reluctant to have their pictures taken here than anywhere else I've been.

See map.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad we're downtown now. Like that green-blue light upper part of phot.