Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Greenwich Village, Washington Square West Between Fourth Street and West Washington Place


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

It's a little before 7 o'clock and look how dark it is already! Doesn't it seem just wrong that the longest day of the year is at the beginning of summer? It should come in the middle, don't you agree?

Aren't you glad you don't live at the equator where the days and nights are equal all year long?

MacDougal Street changes its name to Washington Square West as it runs alongside Washington Square which is where we are now, looking across at Hayden Hall. According to New York Song Lines, Hayden Hall was built in 1957 as a residence hall for law students at New York University, and incorporated the Holley Chambers Hotel, which I take to be the building to the left. Now first year students live in Hayden Hall. Welcome, all NYU students, drink responsibly.

Boy, did I love going to college. Can't say those were the happiest days of my life since I was mostly depressed, but I sure loved it.

Happiness isn't everything.

See map.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(Love your words!) Yes, it's wrong wrong grrrrong (that the longest day, etc.)! And I am so aware of the lapsing of the light. Or whatever. And I, too, found college and post- pretty good times for me, even though I, too, was depressed at least some of that time (but younger!).

All for now.