Sunday, September 16, 2007

Upper West Side, 85th Street Between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2007 ………… click to enlarge

The lettering above the entrance on this unusual townhouse reads: The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Building. How sweet, I thought, they named their house after themselves. I began imagining a gold plaque on my doorway reading: The Mary Sargent Apartment. Hmm.

It turns out that they were philanthropists who set up a foundation (The Harry and Jeanette Foundatiion, Inc.) worth about 2 billion, with headquarters in Maryland. I could find no mention of this building on the World Wide Web. It is another mystery.

See map.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annoying sportscasters sometimes use a word when covering basketball games that I am fairly sure is not really a word - verticality. If it was a word, this photo would be its definition.

Anonymous said...

I pass by this building often, but never saw it quite this way. It houses Dorot, an organization that provides services to the elderly.