Saturday, December 15, 2007

Inwood, 211th Street at Vermilyea Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

This is where Vermilyea ends; it's to the left of last night's photo. This is the back of P.S. 98, a PK through grade 4 school known as Shorac Kappock. Couldn't find out anything about the name (I guess, Jewish) but I did find out that as of school year 2004-2005, the enrollment by ethnicity was 3 Asian, 8 Black, 4 White and 770 Hispanic. The neighborhood is primarily Hispanic, but I'm surprised the enrollment is that unbalanced.

No, it's not Jewish; it's Indian! So I'm informed by my consultant, Flying Lady. Shorakkappok was the Algonkian name for a spot by Spuyten Duyvil somewhere up here between the Bronx and Manhattan where the Indians waited for the tide to go out to make the crossing easier. The name meant "sitting down place". Whew.

See map.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great colours! Great space! Q: Is it a sin to comment mainly to leave a twee nickname? One o' many, I expect.