Saturday, December 22, 2007

Inwood, Academy Street between Vermilyea Avenue and Broadway





Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

I turned west on Academy Street – and look at this! A close inspection reveals it is built like a . . . a . . castle! Not a playful castle, mind you, this is serious. It is a junior high school, Public School 52, as engraved over the doorway. The Public Schools Report identifies it as Is 52. I don't know what Is stands for. Can anyone tell me? The Street Book says that Academy Street was named for Public School 52, "a Tudor-style building . . . [which] was pulled down in 1957." That means this one was built after that. Somehow it's hard to imagine this school being built in the late 50's, 60's, or later. Another puzzle to investigate in the distant future.

See map.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed. The original "Academy" was on the corner of Broadway and Academy...right next door to PS 52. The cornerstone was laid by Abe Lincoln. It was a reddish brown building otherwise known as the "Annex". It was used for classes until it was torn down in the mid 50's when Abe Weiner was principal.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, anonymous. I'm always pleased when someone adds information.

Anonymous said...

"IS" stands for "Intermediate School." I went to JHS 52 when the Annex was still standing. Hi Mary, I love your photos and comments.

Irma said...

I went to JHS 52 from 9/62 to 6/65. I used to live across the street on Academy street. Most of us went to George Washington H.S. after that for 10th, 11th and 12th grade. The school still looks the same. Thanks for the pics, Irma

Jim Taylor said...

Mary, I graduated from Inwood JHS at PS 52 in 1949. Back then, PS 52 included grades Kingerdarten through third year, and junior high school. My mother and uncle, born in 1912 and 1916, both attended PS 52, so it's been there a while. A picture of my graduating class may be seen at the Manhattan Board site, http://manhattanboard.com/msghome.html, by clicking on class pictures, junior high schools, and JHS 52,1949, 9SP1.
Thanks for your great contribution.
Jim