Thursday, May 29, 2008

Morningside Heights, 110th Street Between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine faces Amsterdam Avenue, and its grounds spread over 11.3 acres, from 110th Street to north of 112th Street and Amsterdam to Columbus Avenues. This is the southern border along 110th Street. Here we see . . . construction! What are they up to? I asked myself, and no sooner did I ask then I was googling. Well, after much tedious research, I discovered – you'll never guess. Yes! They're building an apartment house on the Cathedral's grounds!

It was only when I began writing this post that I looked for a link directly to the Cathedral and it was then I discovered the most exhaustive information about the project is right on their site. Slide shows and all. But it's always good to have a little controversy from the New York Times to balance the positive reporting from the Cathedral.

On another subject altogether, I don't think I've ever seen a structure that looked more like a face than this one at center. It had to have been done on purpose, don't you think?

See map.

No comments: