Sunday, June 01, 2008

Upper East Side, Madison Avenue at 65th Street


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Friday, I did something different for a photowalk. Typically, unless I have an errand which lends itself to a photowalk, I look at my map and choose a place, go there, see things that interest me and come home and research them. This time I randomly opened my book New York Streetscapes to page 215, the Charles Scribner House at 9 East 66th Street. This worked. I hadn't been to the East Side for a good while and I hadn't walked that street. So after therapy and after shooting the church on 86th street, I went downtown and took the 66th Street crosstown bus. It let me out on Madison and 65th Street. While at that intersection I took this shot. Can you guess why?

Well, Citibank. What's this with the black? Citibank has been blue for as long as I've banked there, which is since 1982. After much pondering, I came up with this explanation. Just like me, Citibank has noticed all the banks going blue, I can't think what they are now but – and in fact, maybe that's the problem. Blue doesn't identify anyone now, since so many use it. So Citibank is going to be different.

I can just imagine the meeting. Green might be suggested. No, it's a little too friendly. Purple or yellow, no way. But black. Genius!

See map.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really did try to guess. First I thought maybe it was the umbrella over the T in Citibank alluding to the umbrella on the hot dog stand. Then I thought maybe the T in a circle on the taxi had some kind of significance. But wrong I was.

I agree, all the banks are looking alike. I was partaicularly pissed when the blue with a dash of red from Commerce Bank recently got stolen by, I think it's Chase, or some bank like that. Too similar. God forbid you'd walk into the wrong bank--you know how hard it is to get your money out of even your own bank.

It's actually so much fun to see these photos. Like, everyone who has lived here for any length of time knows that corner and that Citiback--I don't know why, but I just know we all do. And we never think about it (except 'oh, there's Citibank, I can keep walking to 96th but should I get cash and take a cab?' kind of thing). It's just that you don't think about everybody knowing these places as well and as unconsciously as you do. A photo reminds you it's not just YOUR city.