Thursday, July 31, 2008

Times Square, 48th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

And across the street. . . Well, there's no getting around it, the residents of this block must do something about that awful awning at Maria's Mont Blanc Rest. First, petition Maria, in a nice way, of course, to please hire someone with at least one scintilla of design sense to replace the awning. Maybe chip in a few bucks to help out. It would be worth it. Then if that fails, the most daring and law breaking among them must take it down. Wait for a dark night.

See map.

3 comments:

Finding me through expressed thoughts and ideas. Mostly Venting! said...

What a simple but brilliant idea. I live in Spanish Harlem and it is changing at an incredibly rapid pace. I have been meaning to capture what is left before it is replaced.
I am adding you to my blog roll.

Mary Sargent said...

SJ, thank you! (I thought in the first instant that you were referring to my idea to take down the awning as a simple but brilliant idea, but soon realized you were referring to the actual blog idea.)

Yes, don't delay capturing your neighborhood. Although any time is probably a good time.

Best to you.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Well, your comments caused me to enlarge the photo, even tho, with my ancient computer, it takes precious minutes out of my day and threatens computerfreeze.

But it was so familiar a scene I started thinking how different it must be for non-New Yorkers to look at these photos. For a New Yorker it's so personal, like from the mundane 'oh yeah, I was there yesterday,' or 'that's down the block from where I get my hair cut' or 'my gynocologist used to have an office in that building,' to that feeling of senseless pride for a place you love so intensely with little rational explanation.

For some reason, this photo (which in fact is down the street from my hairdresser, a block from my ex-gynocologist and 10 blocks from my job) made me so glad you are doing this project--it's like memorializing the backdrop of the playing out of our lives.

Thank you.