Saturday, September 27, 2008

Lower East Side, Essex Street Between Houston and Stanton


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

The Essex Ale House serves no liquor, only a good selection of foreign and domestic beer. And wine. But you probably shouldn't go there to drink wine. They also serve no food, but the bartender will order out for you. It is described approvingly on the web as a dive. Looks good to me with those French doors open to the street.



Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

We are in an entirely new neighborhood and I'd like to write an essay on it, but I am just exhausted with politics. What a week, capped by the debate tonight. I thought Obama did very well, but I was disappointed that McCain didn't really mess up. After his strange behavior of the past couple of weeks, I thought there was a good chance of it, but not this time. Well, there's always the Vice-Presidential debate next week.

Anyway, I'll try to pull myself together and have something to say about the Lower East Side tomorrow. Maybe I should just go cold turkey on politics.



Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

I photographed this pretty store from across the street, never guessing it was a grocery store, E&S Wholesome Foods. A grocery store with floor to ceiling windows? Why isn't it a restaurant? Anyway, one of its owners is a guy who grew up in the neighborhood when it was drug riddled and dangerous. Read his story here.
See map.

No comments: