Saturday, November 01, 2008

Midtown South, 24th Street Between Sixth Avenue and Broadway


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Back in the olden days, when you went to a performance at BAM out in Brooklyn, among the limited dining options nearby was a hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Planet Thailand that had good, supposedly authentic Thai food. I remember there being an explanation of how they came to be called Planet Thailand, some kind of accident or misunderstanding, but I don't remember what it was. Now here we have this place called Planethailand 212, odder still. Yes, it is a branch of Planet Thailand. Meanwhile, out in Brooklyn they have moved and expanded and now serve three cuisines: " Thai, Traditional Japanese, Sushi and Hibachi" and have a nightly DJ. No longer a hole-in-the-wall. No word on whether the Thai food is still authentic. This Manhattan branch is also not a hole-in-the-wall restaurant and Zagat's says they have "tasty chow".

Speaking of restaurants, about this time, I realized I had to turn off my camera and get moving if I was going to be on time for lunch. So no more photographs until I get to Ilili, last stop on this photowalk.

See map.

No comments: