Monday, November 17, 2008

Washington Heights, 181st Street Between St. Nicholas and Wadsworth Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

I went on a new walk today, on a mission. It seems there is a homesick New Yorker, now living in Puerto Rico, who would love to see some shots of her old neighborhood. Today I went to find the Eleanor Roosevelt Junior High School on West 182nd Street. I took the No. 1 train to 181st Street, walked two blocks to Amsterdam Avenue, one block to 182nd Street, then back to St. Nicholas Avenue, to 181st and subway home.

It was my first winter walk of the season, in the 40s, bright sunshine and clouds, glove wearing weather.

The first thing I did was walk one block in the wrong direction. My instinct spins the old internal compass and most often reads it backwards.

See map.

No comments: