Thursday, November 27, 2008

Washington Heights, 182nd Street Between Audubon and St. Nicholas Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………click to enlarge

Continuing the cute buildings theme, isn't this the cutest church you've seen in a long time? The tree probably has something to do with it. When it gets big, maybe the building won't look so cute. By the way, it's the Prince of Peace Universal Tabernacle Spiritual Church.

Now I know you're wondering why I don't show you a long shot of all three buildings so you can see how they look together. Well, okay. But I don't think you'll find them so cute all bunched together. Here they are.





See map.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but check out the light at the top of those peaks. I'm expecting Moses to burst from the clouds and start reciting the Ten Commandments.

Anonymous said...

Certainly not cute.

Stephanie L. Gross, Librarian said...

If you're truly interested in serious historical background to this synagogue, try : http://home.att.net/~landsmanshaft/wpaform.htm for the Works Progress Administration (WPA) Federal Writers Project Survey of State and Local Historical Records(1939)Church Records Jewish - Synagogue Introduction by Ada Green and Judi Langer-Surnamer Caplan. Thank you for the excellent photograph! I've been walking past this synagogue cum church for years and never discovered its history until today. Please keep up your good work.

Anonymous said...

What camera do you use? How did you start this? I'm enjoying your photos :) Thanks for sharing :)

~ R

Mary Sargent said...

I use a Canon XT, a digital SLR, usually with the lens it came with, 18-55mm. I bought a good wide-angle, but hardly ever carry it, because it gets heavy and bulky. Often I wish I had it, though.

As to how I got started, as soon as I moved here, I knew I wanted to walk every street. It's irresistible. Such clear boundaries. But it was getting a digital camera that made the blog possible.

Thanks for enjoying!