Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lower East Side, Allen Street Between Stanton and Rivington Streets


Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

You're right, this is just an ordinary street. When I'm on an old street and I see a big new hotel going up across the street, I feel like I need to photograph the ordinary old things that we won't remember when they're gone. I have to admit that, hidden in this shot, are some slick new spots that replaced, uh, what? Let them stay hidden!! Actually, I'll show you one later.



Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Across the street we have Tiengarden, a vegetarian restaurant with $8 entrees. And Bluestockings, a bookstore, café and activity center. Their calendar lists something every night. This is tomorrow night's event:

Monday, January 12th @ 7PM - FreeReading: Jaclyn Friedman & Jessica Valenti “Yes Means Yes”With Samhita Mukhopadhyay, Anastasia Higginbotham and Jill FilipovicA groundbreaking collection, “Yes Means Yes: Visions of Female Sexual Power and a World Without Rape” presents a third wave feminist perspective on
rape culture and female sexuality as seen through the lens of race, class and culture. Please join editors Jaclyn Friedman & Jessica Valenti (author of “Full Frontal Feminism” and “He’s A Stud, She’s A Slut”) and contributors in a discussion in a lively discussion which reinterprets the ‘no means no” axiom.


The next time I'm photographing Allen Street, say, 2019, I'll walk on the other side. Will it still be there?

See map.

No comments: