Friday, February 06, 2009

Murray Hill, 28th Street Between Lexington and Third Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2009 …….. click to enlarge

Look what we have here – our first black and white photograph. Compare to the color version below and I think you'll see why I did it. With a digital photograph, black and white is as easy as pressing a button.

This is the church of Our Lady of the Scapular & St. Stephen, usually referred to as St. Stephen's, and I took no photos of it in my prior walk. I moved along faster in those days. I didn't stop and gawk at every damn thing. I was more into the walk, I think, wanting to get more streets marked off.

St. Stephen's has significant architectural, artistic and social history (designed by James Renwick, murals by Constantino Brumidi, largest Catholic parish in the country in 1860), but despite the efforts of Community Board 6 and others, it has not been given landmark status. Read all about it here, if that kind of thing interests you.

By the way, do you know what a scapular is? In the Catholic sense, I mean. I didn't. It's something worn over the shoulders, front and back that has protective qualities. You can read all about that here, if that kind of thing interests you.




Mary Sargent © 2009 …….. click to enlarge



No comments: