Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The High Line, Tenth Avenue Between Gansevoort and 20th Street

X

Mary Sargent © 2009 ……...............................….. click to enlarge




Mary Sargent © 2009 ……….. click to enlarge

We're up in the High Line now and everyone looks right at home. I was reminded of my cats when I saw these people on the benches. It's like when a box is delivered to me and it's there on the floor, they take one look and jump on it and settle down. Nice, a new place to lie on, they say to themselves.

I was going to go into the story of the High Line tonight, but if you'll look at what time it is, you'll understand when I say I'm just going to recommend you go to the High Line Images and Video website. It has historical photos showing trains running in the street before the High Line was built, and it shows it being built and then being used. Then there are contemporary photographs showing it overgrown with grasses and wild flowers. And more. Well worth taking a look.
X

I'll have more to say tomorrow. For now, I still have to put sheets on my bed.

1 comment:

flyinglady said...

The Standard is breathtaking from every vantage point. I hope we see more of this level of architectural beauty in New York.