Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Meatpacking District, 14th Street between Washington Street and Ninth Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………....………….. click to enlarge

Notice the cobblestone streets here toward the end of 14th Street.  Having once lived near historic old Alexandria, Virginia, when people in New York said cobblestone, I looked around for the stones, actual rounded stones which were once used for paving.  Here, too; not just Alexandria.  But they were replaced by these more easily traversed flat stones called setts, which were, in turn, replaced by asphalt, except in a few parts of old New York, like here.

------------

On another subject altogether, everyone stop right now and back up your files.  Yes, I had a little scare tonight, which turned out to be not a problem after all, but as soon as my computer started up, I backed up everything.  How long had it been?  Since May of this year.  That's bad, all right, and I hereby resolve to back up at least every month.

Just so you know, I always back up my photographs as they're edited.


No comments: