Sunday, January 03, 2010

Washington Heights, St. Nicholas Avenue between 191st and 190th Streets; St. Nicholas Avenue at 189th Street; 188th Street at St. Nicholas Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2009 ………………….……......... ………………….. click to enlarge

The weather on January 1st was not too cold, in the high 30's, but the skies were gray, and the feeling was kind of somber. Can there be anything uglier than these metal gates?  And there were lots of them because most of these small stores were closed for the holiday.  In reaction to that, I started looking upward for inspiration and look what I found! This is the first of many cut-out roof tops I saw. There's probably a name for that, so if anyone knows it, please let me know.


Mary Sargent © 2009 ……..…………….…………….. click to enlarge






Mary Sargent © 2009 ………………….. click to enlarge

See?  Here's another.  This one is at 189th Street.



Mary Sargent © 2009 ……………….. click to enlarge


And this one is on the corner of 188th Street.  All of these shots were taken walking down St. Nicholas Avenue.  There will be more to come.



P.S.  Look at how early I'm posting!  The last 3 days (which, just coincidentally, are the first three days of the New Year), I've posted before midnight.  It's the new me.  Let's see if that old saying is really true, you know, early to bed, early to rise . . .

No comments: