Thursday, April 08, 2010

Chelsea, 16th Street Between Eighth and Ninth Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2010 …………………….. click to enlarge

Looking across Eighth Avenue to the next block.  What the heck is going on over there?




Mary Sargent © 2010 ……………………….. click to enlarge

Here's Joe, who stopped me from walking farther and then kindly explained what the heck was going on.







Mary Sargent © 2010 …………………….. click to enlarge

See that square object suspended in the background?  Actually it's a cube and it's a transformer being lifted to the roof.  Joe told me it weighs just a hell of a lot of tons.  He did tell me the exact amount but I didn't write it down, so just know it weighs a lot.

This is a pretty good photograph so you might want to enlarge it and admire it.



Mary Sargent © 2010 ………………….……………... ………………….. click to enlarge

See those red platelike things stacked on the truck bed?  Those are weights to counterbalance the transformer.  You would think the truck itself would be enough but no.



Mary Sargent © 2010 ………...…………….. click to enlarge

The transformer cleared the roof and we were allowed to walk on.

3 comments:

Idly Paging Through said...

Amazing photos (esp. of Joe! - No, only kidding, as the others are amazing, esp. the one of the transformer clearing the roof). And you are one funny woman! Pithy, is that the better word? Well, funny and pithy.

One Man Too Many said...

I'm falling in love with Joe. Just what I need.

I M Annoying said...

Why dud I drink so mush coffin?