Friday, April 16, 2010

Chelsea, 16th Street Between Eighth and Ninth Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2010 …………….....…….…………… ………………….. click to enlarge

In 2003, the glamorous Maritime Hotel opened, with the well-regarded Japanese restaurant Matsuri tucked underneath and on the side.  I must have been distracted in 2003, because I only learned this tonight.  However, the chef, Tadashi Ono, somehow sounded familiar.  Sure enough, he was the chef at Sono, where I had dinner one time only, years ago.  The food was wonderful but I had no desire to return, something that puzzled me a little.  I think it was too quiet.  It subsequently closed, perhaps because it was too quiet.  If you follow the Matsuri link, the first picture you see makes it clear that this restaurant is different.  Here's another link that will confirm that.  Oh, that Japanese sense of humor.

No comments: