Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lower East Side, Allen Street Between Delancey and Broome


Mary Sargent © 2010 ………………….…………… …......................……………….. click to enlarge

Last I heard, Chinatown ended at Grand Street, but it's looking mighty like Chinatown around the corner from Delancey.  I did find one acknowledgment of this in a real estate site, NYBits, and I quote:  Unlike neighboring Little Italy, Chinatown is continually expanding. The border between the two has all but disappeared and Chinatown now stretches from City Hall to Grand Street (by some accounts even further, to Delancey St).

I'm sure you remember that when I was last on the Lower East Side in January 2009, I was looking forward to visiting this block in the Spring.  It took a little longer than that, but no matter.  I had read about the redesign of the center mall.  We'll see it close up in a few days.

See map.

 

No comments: