Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Midtown, Broadway at 57th Street


Mary Sargent © 2010 ………………….…………… ………………….. click to enlarge

These walks are getting interminable; this one started on May 5th.  Time to wind down, go home.  So I've made it to Broadway, on my way to the 59th Street subway station.  I took this shot because of the Hearst Building over on Eighth Avenue - the building with the triangles.

I've hated this building from the moment I set eyes on it - as it was being constructed.  It has a lot to do with the building it sits atop, which is ludicrously incompatible.  Imagine my bafflement when all the architectural critics loved it.  I can only conclude they are drinking some funny Kool-aid.  To see what I'm talking about, go to the Wikipedia article and look at the first image.  Then scroll down to the 3 images and enlarge the third one.  Is that coherent?  Does it make any sense?  NO, no, no.  I will probably carry on some more when I do a photowalk closer up.  Perhaps I should take an architecture class in the meantime.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I see this intersection all the time since I play bridge next door a couple of times a week. Couldn't agree more. It was even worse during construction....

B.Lewin said...

I love the circles and arrows and stripes and splotches!