Monday, October 29, 2007

Upper West Side, 107th Street Between Riverside Drive and West End Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2007 ………… click to enlarge

Here is the pretty doorway to the Nicholas Roerich Museum. I had never heard of it – had you? Roerich was a Russian painter who gained fame designing sets and costumes for Diaghilev and most famously, collaborated with Stravinsky on Le Sacre du Printemps. There's lots more; if you are interested, check out the museum link.

So I walk in, and there are a couple of gents sitting around who direct me to the upper two floors. Paintings everywhere. On the second floor is a grand piano and a bunch of folding chairs set up for an audience. Pretty soon a woman sweeps in and begins rehearsing, playing Chopin, very accomplished. By this time I'm on the third floor, in the front room, all alone, with the light streaming in, colorful paintings all around, and gorgeous music from the piano below.

See? Even a walk up West End Avenue can end in an enchanted place you never knew existed.

They have concerts most Sunday afternoons at 5 o'clock. It's free (contributions accepted) and no reserved seating. If you get there before me, save me a seat.

Then after that, as if that wasn't enough, when I got back to Broadway, I went into Starbucks, got a latte and got a seat by the window, no waiting.

See map.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a meltingly soft brown building, just the color of a latte. Well, I never get lattes (latti? - not at all), but it is a great color, this place. Glad I came back to your blog.

Anonymous said...

What a find - and so close to my apartment. I'll pay a visit for sure.