Thursday, May 14, 2009

West Village, Seventh Avenue Between 12th and 11th Streets


Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Okay, I'm starting all over again, this time at the beginning.

It's a good thing I have a therapy appointment at 11:00 once a week because it gets me out of the house. You know all those times when I say I got a late start, didn't get out of the house until 4:00? Those are the days I don't have a therapy appointment. It's true I'm tired on therapy days from getting up so early, but I'm at least I'm out and can operate a camera.

So I took the No. 1 to 14th Street, but got off at the 12th Street exit. This is what you see when you emerge. We are in the Village now, even though it doesn't look village-like. 14th Street is the northern border. This is one border that doesn't change.

This is St. Vincent's Hospital. It's been around since 1849, beginning as a mere 30 beds in a small brick house on 13th Street. At that time it was one of the few charity hospitals in the city. St. Vincent, himself, was the patron saint of charities and hospitals. Um, there's probably a connection there.




Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Okay, here's one of those complicated intersections where three streets cross, and on the east side of the avenue, the streets cross perpendicularly, but on the other side, they take a steep turn south. Please pay attention. The girl walking toward us is walking across Seventh Avenue with the south side of St. Vincent's on the left. Now see the small red building in the middle? To the left of it is 11th Street and to the right is Greenwich Avenue. But on the other side of Seventh, 11th Street will cross over and head downtown and so, be south of Greenwich.

I hope you're still awake because it gets snappier now.




Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Now if I turn my head to the right, this is what I see. Hmm. One of those new boutique coffee shops. I could use a good cup of coffee.

By the way, this is Greenwich Avenue.


See map.

No comments: