Thursday, September 24, 2009

Civic Center, Centre Street at Worth Street


Mary Sargent © 2009 ………………….. click to enlarge

Yes, Grand Jury Service. And with this service comes the answer to a question (implied) I had on May 15, 2007. Namely, what is this building? It's the Louis J. Lefkowitz State Office Building. Among the State offices it houses, is the 4th Grand Jury, of which I am a member. And of which, more later.

The state architect, William Haugaard, designed this building, under a height restriction placed on it to avoid overshadowing the main courthouses and to avoid disturbing the symmetry of Foley Square. I don't know why this surprises me. I guess it reminds me of Washington, D.C. and New York never reminds me of Washington, D.C.

Note: You see there are two buildings in this photograph? I lightened the rear one considerably so that you could see there are two buildings. They were so close in color and shade that they seemed to blend together. I wanted you to be able to see the modest height and design of the State Office Building.

I'll always tell you if I do something like that.


See map.

No comments: