Friday, January 22, 2010

Upper West Side, 83rd Street Between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2009 ………………….…………...… ………………….. click to enlarge

Isn't this a pretty door with its embellished crossbars?  Who makes them, anyway?  And why can't I find history for New York firehouses?  Oh, there's a kind of random history, but I want-- wait a minute, here's the NYgov website with history: 

ORGANIZED 207 W. 77th St. (Jun. 1, 1901)
PRESENT QUARTERS 120 W. 83rd St. (Oct. 5, 1992)

And that's it.  Well, at least we know it wasn't at this location until 1992.  Within our lifetimes.  Most of us.  So what did they do?  Take an existing building and insert this door into it?  I guess.  I wish I'd seen it.

1 comment:

spinh said...

I was born and raised on W.83rd St. (1941)- As far back as I can remember there always was a fire house located at that address. I remember two doors on each side of the main entrance, which looked exactly as pictured.