Saturday, October 04, 2008

Spanish Harlem, 106th Street Between Park and Madison Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

This blast of color is on the school yard of the Jackie Robinson Educational Complex. That's the Park Avenue viaduct behind. Time Out called this The Graffiti Hall of Fame, so now I've been looking at websites and videos, and getting all excited and involved and spending way too much time on this. The Hall of Fame apparently refers to the famous graffiti artists who've painted there. And it changes every summer. Look at this:



Isn't that great? I was finally motivated enough to learn how to include videos.

This is what I love about doing this. I go somewhere and see something I think is interesting and then I try to find out something about it and sometimes I find out that a lotta, lotta people already know about it, just not anybody I know, there's just this whole group of other people really interested and involved. Then I compare that and what I now know with remembering me just walking along, innocent and clueless, and thinking, wow, that's interesting, I wonder if anyone knows about that? You know what I mean? It's like there's so much out there and if you look a little further, you find out there's even more. This is a great, great, great city.

Here's something else I'm thinking and this is mainly for us artists of the studio type. You know how they've been saying for years that painting is dead? And we've, some of us, just kept on painting anyway (I was a painter before this)? Well, this stuff out here on the walls is the real answer to that. What could be more alive? Let me hear from you, you artists! Anyone else, you too, of course.

No comments: